Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiiger

Tortious inference in South Carolina spousal priviledge

4 posts in this topic

The president of the company (****), my former employer, had a wife who had me fired. The wife had no position in the company. She was involved in a power struggle with the long term employee who hired me. Is the wife going to be able to avoid answering questions in deposition by claiming a spousal privilege?

Edited by FindLaw_AHK
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator

I don't understand the reference to "tortious interference" in the subject hearder of your post.

Is the wife going to be able to avoid answering questions in deposition by claiming a spousal privilege?

Depends on what the questions are. Confidential communications between spouses are privileged, and that privilege is subject to few, if any, exceptions.

Note that for private employers, it is not wrongful termination simply because the president fired you at the request/insistence of his wife. When the employer is not a government agency, then the employer may legally fire you for any reason (or no reason at all) except for a few reasons prohibited by law. The prohibited reasons include firing you because:

• of your race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic test information under federal law (some states/localities add a few more categories like sexual orientation);

• you make certain kinds of reports about the employer to the government (known as whistle-blower protection laws);

• you participate in union organizing activities;

• you use a right or benefit the law guarantees you (e.g. using leave under FMLA);

• you filed a bankruptcy petition;

• your pay was garnished by a single creditor or by the IRS; and

• you took time off work to attend jury duty (in most states).

Like pg1067, I don't see where "tortious interference" applies here. If you are suing the wife for tortious interference with the contractual relationship (i.e. your employment) that you had with the company, that's a pretty tough case to make.

It would most likely depend on the content of the questions the will be required to respond to. Have you consulted with a local Lawyer to advise on your claim?