MPadge8

Former Condo Association Fee to Refund

I live in Maryland. Recently, my semi-annual association management company switched. I sent my first check to the new management company in January, no problem. In July, I forgot of the switch and sent a payment of $186 to the former management company. They received and kept the payment. It wasn't until I received a reminder from the new company that I realized the mistake. I contacted the former management company (Which still manages other association dues I pay) to get my $186 returned to me. They warned me that they use a third party vendor who charges $25 to refund accidental payments. This seems excessive and illegal to me. Can they hold my $186 hostage with a $25 fee? Can they legally charge me a fee when this was essentially an overpayment they owe me?

Any help is appreciated!

You might also check your HOA CC&Rs to see if they address the duties and fees of a management company.

If there's something in there that even remotely authorizes the management company to collect that kind of fee, then you probably are stuck with it if you want your money back.

And it might not even specifically refer to specific types of fees, might just refer to fees generally, allowing the management company to charge what it feels is appropriate.

Or, see if your bank will stop payment on the check. Unfortunately, that'll cost you a fee, too.