Hilda1226

Easement for Utility Company

My neighbor is having issues with their electricity and now need to have Florida Power and LIght run new power to their home. They have concrete and a shed obstucting the easement on their property. The electric company wants to run their power on my property because it's easier to tear up my yard. Do I have any rights? Can the electric company demand I allow them my easement for the use of my neighbor? What would have happened if I had my whole yard full of concrete too? Would they still require my easement? I suggested to them that if they wanted to use my easement, that they upgrade my electrical power and they didn't like that. The told my husband that they would just take it to litigation and the judge would rule in favor of the easiest path (which would be my property). I feel like I'm being bullied. Should I get a lawyer?

Do I have any rights?

No. None whatsoever.

Seriously. . . do you really think the answer to this question could possibly be anything other than yes?

Can the electric company demand I allow them my easement for the use of my neighbor?

What does "my easement" refer to? If the utility company has an easement over your property and what it proposes to do is within the scope of the easement, then it probably may legally do this. Obviously, you'll need to read the document conferring any easement that may exist.

What would have happened if I had my whole yard full of concrete too? Would they still require my easement?

You're free to pose any hypothetical questions you like to the company.

Should I get a lawyer?

You're free to do that.