JMMlaw4

Fence ownership

The fence on my property line is at least 20 yr old. I built it where the old fence used to be. My neighbor bought the next door property in a forclosure several years ago. He now is trying to claim my fence and 6-8 inches of my land are his. Any actual boundaries were established 150 yr ago and city officials will not re survey because of this.

Would adverse possession shut him up? He's a real pain. Location: Omaha, NME

He now is trying to claim my fence and 6-8 inches of my land are his.

What does "trying to claim" mean? Did you mean that he actually is claiming this? If so, I assume you understand that it isn't true just because he claims it. Right?

Any actual boundaries were established 150 yr ago and city officials will not re survey because of this.

There is no conceiveable reason why city officials would involve themselves in a boundary line dispute between two private property owners.

Would adverse possession shut him up?

I haven't the slightest idea what you might mean by this or what might cause a person I don't know to shut up. Adverse possession is a legal doctrine in which one acquires ownership of another's property by openly occupying the property for a certain period of time without the permission of the legal owner.

Has your neighbor explained the factual basis of his claim? If not, have you asked? How is he asserting this claim? Has he filed any sort of legal action against you?