nidaho

upcoming court date

My son left home with his suitcase, while I was sleeping. He texted me that he's okay but won't tell me where he is. My friend told me that I can be charged with aiding, if he misses his court dates that are next wk., unless I report him missing. Is that true? I'm in Idaho. And what will he be facing if he doesn't go to his court date? Both charges are for petty theft.

Is he an adult or a juvenile? If he's an adult, he's on his own. If he's a juvenile, you should contact his attorney if he has one. Other wise you need to advise the juvenile court or juvenile probation that he has left the home and his whereabouts are unknown. The other option is to show up to court on his court date and tell them you don't know where he is....

nidaho said...

My friend told me that I can be charged with aiding, if he misses his court dates that are next wk., unless I report him missing. Is that true?

Is your friend a lawyer? Anything could happen, but to whom does your friend think you need to report this? What are your son's court dates for?

He's an adult. No, my friend isn't a lawyer. She thought I should report him missing to the Sheriff's Dept. His court dates are this Thurs. & Fri. He has a mental disorder, which makes it hard for him to focus, when he doesn't take his daily meds.

Er, but he ain't "missing". Refusing to tell you where he is isn't "missing". I'd tell the "friend" that unless and until (s)he gets her law degree, to keep her unhelpful legal commentary to him/herself. :)

We cannot know from here what he'll face if he refuses to show up to court other than a warrant.

He is no longer your responsibility, but you certainly can report what has occurred to whomever you like. If he's using a mobile phone, he won't be too hard to track down, and the authorities may get him some help with his mental issues.