milklvr

terroristic threatening class D felony

I am from Arkansas was arrested for terroristic threatening via text msg on July 19 2011 and released on a 1000.00 signature bond am a 52yo female with a clean record what can I expect as the outcome this occured in may of 2011 I was cohersed under duress into admitting to the crime what can I expect the outcome to be.I am very concerned as a matter of fact I am scared

Arkansas statute 5-13-301 seems to be the applicable statute:

"5-13-301. Terroristic threatening.

(a) (1) A person commits the offense of terroristic threatening in the first degree if:

(A) With the purpose of terrorizing another person, the person threatens to cause death or serious physical injury or substantial property damage to another person; or

(
B)
With the purpose of terrorizing another person, the person threatens to cause physical injury or property damage to a teacher or other school employee acting in the line of duty.

(2) Terroristic threatening in the first degree is a Class D felony.

(
B)
(1) A person commits the offense of terroristic threatening in the second degree if, with the purpose of terrorizing another person, the person threatens to cause physical injury or property damage to another person.

(2) Terroristic threatening in the second degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

© (1) (A) Upon pretrial release of the defendant, a judicial officer shall:

(i) Enter a no contact order in writing consistent with Rules 9.3 and 9.4 of the Arkansas Rules of Criminal Procedure; and

(ii) Give notice to the defendant of penalties contained in Rule 9.5 of the Arkansas Rules of Criminal Procedure.

(
B)
The no contact order under subdivision ©(1)(A) of this section remains in effect during the pendency of any appeal of a conviction under this section.

© The judicial officer or prosecuting attorney shall provide a copy of the no contact order under subdivision ©(1)(A) of this section to the victim and arresting agency without unnecessary delay.

(2) If the judicial officer has reason to believe that mental disease or defect of the defendant will or has become an issue in the cause, the judicial officer shall enter such orders as are consistent with § 5-2-305."

Depending on exactly what you're charged with, if convicted, you would be guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony.

Generally, for a misdemeanor offense, one can be imprisoned for a period of up to one year as well as be subject to fines. For a felony offense, in general, one can be imprisoned for a period in excess of one year and possibly be subject to fines.

milklvr said...

I was cohersed under duress into admitting to the crime what can I expect the outcome to be.I am very concerned as a matter of fact I am scared

I would suggest that you speak with a local criminal defense attorney sooner rather than later. He or she can address any statements you made to law enforcement and help prepare your defense. You can find an Arkansas criminal defense attorney by using FindLaw's Lawyer Directory. Many of the lawyers listed even offer free consultations, so there's no harm in making a few calls. Best of luck.