kmc214

Smith-Ostler Order

California: At trial, the judge ordered permanent spousal support for my long-term marriage of 27 yrs, and a Smith-Ostler bonus of 22% for anything my ex husband earns in excess of $75,000/yr (because we suspect he is hiding income). I am unfamiliar with Smith-Ostler. How do I go about collecting the 22% bonus each year? Do I request his tax records? How can I enforce the order?

Your questions are well taken, but not easily answered in a general context or in the context of an Internet message board. I suggest you google "smith ostler," which will provide a wealth of information. If you want to go deeper, visit your county law library and pull the Rutter Group's family law practice guide (review both the sections discussing Smith-Ostler and the sections on enforcement of spousal support and post judgment discovery). Of course, the best thing to do would be to speak with a local family law attorney (you said that "we suspect his is hiding income;" I'm not sure who "we" are; perhaps it is you and your lawyer?).