Niceguy777

how do i report income tax fraud?

i get s.s.i. federal disability benefits. my prior landlord in NY put me down as a dependent when he filed income taxes for 2009. this landlord somehow got my social security number. during the 2009 tax year I wasn't even living in NY, I had moved in early 2009 to California.

I advised the social security administration who let me know of the I.R.S. phone number, the last 4 digits which end in `1040. I can't speak to a live person. I don't think this is the right number.

does anyone know the correct phone number AND mailing address (I also like to make a complaint in writing) to advise the IRS of income tax fraud?

put address here: ____________________

put phone number here: ______________________

*Also am I able to get reimbursed my 2009 income tax refund by the IRS? Under the social security administration rules, disability benefits sometimes get a small refund on their disability benefits. don't ask me how. im not a tax professional, but they do. If so, how? I don't want to resort to suing my landlord, I'd rather have the IRS get the money which was fraudulently obtained by my landlord & have the IRS send me the aforesaid money due me.

P.S. If you're going to be gruff or write something in a nasty, condescending tone like a user name "Fallen..." something or another then don't bother to reply. it's condesending, abusive tones which give lawyers and their support staff a bad name.

thank you,.

You aren't entitled to read into someone's response a "nasty" or "abusive" tone; tone is in the eye of the reader. Unless someone is prefacing a comment with "moron" or something equally unmistakably "nasty", you need to read without any emotional filter/read with dispassion.

* * *

I can't fathom that you wouldn't have visited the IRS site and searched fraud hotline, and why you'd be expecting the SSA to act as an information/telephone operator, etc. :)

If you found this web site, you can find the information you seek on the internet. A simple "IRS tax fraud" google search would reveal:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=106778,00.html

"I can't speak to a live person. I don't think this is the right number."

Just because you can't speak to a live person doesn't mean it's the incorrect number, but I trust you realize that we aren't directory assistance here.

*Also am I able to get reimbursed my 2009 income tax refund by the IRS?"

If you filed a tax return and are due a refund, IRS would typically send it. It's also got nothing to do with whatever your landlord did but no, you aren't entitled to whatever money the landlord may have received.

We thank you for your question, and we hope that you are able to

find the answers that you need. We also understand the frustration that

can come from dealing with a difficult legal situation, especially when

you are not hearing answers that you think are helpful.

However,

per our Community

Guidelines, you must keep conversations on the Answers forums

respectful and civil. Constructive criticism is welcome but personal

attacks will be deleted, and repeated violations can lead to suspension

from the boards.

Thanks for using FindLaw Answers.

Niceguy777 said...

The IRS web site has information on contacting the IRS with reports of

fraud: IRS

fraud contacts. If you live near an IRS office, you can also go

there and ask to speak to a special agent (who does criminal

investigations) or a revenue officer/revenue agent (who do the other

field work for the IRS) to make your report. Those folks can then

forward the report the proper officials for consideration.

Niceguy777 said...

If your only income is SS disability benefits, those are simply not taxable. Indeed, you don't even need to file a tax return if that is your sole income for the year. But you don't get a refund, either. However, if you turn in the landlord and the IRS collects some additional tax from him, you may be due a reward for that.

Fallen said...

You aren't entitled to read into someone's response a "nasty" or

"abusive" tone; tone is in the eye of the reader. Unless someone is

prefacing a comment with "moron" or something equally unmistakably

"nasty", you need to read without any emotional filter/read with

dispassion.

It is extremely presumptuous, and indeed I'd say arrogant, for you to claim the power to dictate to the poster how he or she must read responses. The poster is not "entitled" to read the post the way he or she did? Are you serious? You really want to say that you are entitled to dictate how people must react and feel to posts? Who made you God?

You are correct that tone is in the eye of the reader—a reader may well see a nasty or abusive tone in a post that was not intended by the writer of the post. While not intended, it may still be the fault of the writer for not taking greater care to understand how her words would be interpreted by others. You've seen plenty of responses to your posts that suggest that a number of posters see that same tone. Indeed, I see it in some of your replies, too. While I know from what you've said before that you don't intend it, that is nevertheless what comes across. And when a number of readers see the same thing, then I have to think it's not the reader's fault, it is the fault of the writer. Yet knowing this, you persist in writing in the same style. That is your prerogative, but don't be surprised then when you get reactions that your posts are mean, nasty, or whatever. In any event, it is not up to you (or me) to dictate how others read posts.