Hermes02

Water Drainage dispute

My neighbor has been telling me that I have to put up a gutter along the side of my house because water runs off my roof, down a slope and onto their property. Our entire street is on a slope. They say they have foundation damage now because of the water. The cost to put up the gutter to their specifications would be over $500. I can't afford that right now, but would be willing to put it up if they would at least share the cost. They say that they had offered to split the cost with the previous owner, but that owner wouldn't put up the gutter unless the neighbor paid for the entire thing. So now they aren't willing to share the cost with us at all. They have threatened to take us to court to force us to put it up. Can they force us to put up a gutter because water runs downhill?

In general, a neighbor will not be responsible for damage to your

property caused by runoff from naturally occurring rain and land

conditions. As almost anyone who has lived on land lower than that of

their neighbor's will tell you, water really does like to flow from

higher to lower ground, even if that means running around whatever

measures you have in place to control it. For more information, you may wish to visit the FindLaw Water Damage and Neighbor Disputes article. Keep us posted.