maria22portuguese4you

proxy wedding

I was married in my birth country in Portugal at the age of 19. My wedding was a Proxy wedding, I was in Portugal my husband was here. I then immigrated to NJ, less than a year later...i did nothing or went anywhere when I arrived in the United States , with my marriage. My question is ...Am I recognized as a legal married women in the State of NJ?

Maria Santos

Assuming you're a US citizen, your foreign marriage is not recognized by the US unless you file some paperwork showing that you got married. For foreigners the paperwork is their passport, basically.

A marriage which is not recognized by the government of the country where you got married (for example, in Portugal it is possible to get a religious marriage with no civil validity) will not be recognized by the US, as you won't be able to get a legally-binding marriage certificate.