gmamajojo

Sound Mind

"You" wouldn't; a medical professional would ... or a court would, in conjunction with medical professional's opinion.

Care to provide some context here?

Your question makes little sense. I've never had occasion to make such a determination (although I have referred to people -- both elderly and otherwise -- as "crazy" on many occasions). Whether someone is or isn't of "sound mind" typically only arises in litigation in which someone contends that someone else was not of "sound mind." In such a case, the court or a jury will make the determination based on the evidence presented. If one is an attorney and has reason to suspect that client or some other person might not be of "sound mind," then the attorney may refrain from performing certain work or discuss the issue with a relative or someone else involved. I can't say much more than that without some context.