detective52

Can i Renew permanent resident card?

Im a 35 year old male, been in the United States for 20 years with a permanent resident card and i live in greeley, colorado (weld county). In november of 2008 i gave a ride to a person who had just killed someone, but i had no idea what he had done. Police issued a warrant for my arrest, they charged me with accesory to a second degree murder. i turned myself in, since i had nothing to do with it. i posted bail and got out in less than an hour. i went thru the whole court prosses and i pleaed guilty in the plea bargaining step. ( to a level 5 felony) and they gave me 2 year probation. in august 2011 my green card expires and i need to renew it and i asked a few lawyers if there is any chance of lossing my green card because of that level 5 felony and they all answer differently. i really need to know what can happen, if i can get the renewal denied or ill be ok? is pleading guilty in the plea bargaing being convicted or not? as i understand if you been convicted of a felony your status as an alien in the united states might also be affected or might be denied tge right to hold public office.

****** if it helps, i am a first time offender, and they gave me the right to seal my case after completing my probation.

thank you so much in advance.

Deportation is based on the statute of conviction (which you haven't provided). Retain counsel to assess possible deportation (and mandatory detention) prior to filing to renew your card.

Philip Eichorn

Philip Eichorn Co. LPA

866.868.6644

Selected as a Rising Star in Ohio for Immigration Law