Concernedgma1981

Guardianship of grandson

Our daughter gave us legal guardianship a year and a half ago and both my husband and I had to go before a judge to have the guardianship enforced. Our daughter did not appear. We have been told that she is going to get a lawyer to get her son back. She is married to a drug dealer and at times they have no utilities and she works part time and her husband deals his drugs. Our grandson is now 3 1/2. Is it true that the longer we have him the court might rule in our favor ? Will the courts look at the living conditions our daughter is in and the man she is married to in consideration when making their condition. We love our grandson and don't want to lose him but are scared to death they will make us give him back. When the judge was done with asking us questions his words were " He is yours until he turns 18" How true is this?

Whether your guardianship could or would be terminated depends on the terms of the guardianship order, the particular circumstances of the case, and your unidentified state's laws and judicial guidelines. Matters of child custody are generally always open to revision, and even a permanent guardianship could be reviewed and modified under appropriate circumstances. Whether the circumstances of your case warrant termination or modification I can't say without a thorough review, and I never predict what a judge will rule in any case. A local family law attorney can look at all the facts and advise you how best to proceed. Good luck!

Thank you for your honesty, first. I did get the court documents out and it does use the term "custody" so not sure how the courts interpret that. I remember asking our attorney after we left the courtroom why the judge used "custody" when we understood that we were getting "legal guardianship". We were told by one attorney not to pursue custody because they are revamping the laws and leaning more in favor of biological parents and it may not go in our favor. We live in Illinois if that gives you any more help. Thanks again