TheGoodTwin

Ohio Teen Runaway Law

My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

More than one Ohio teen ran away and stayed on someone's property in Ohio. The cops acted on a 'tip' about missing teens and went to the property. The homeowner then took notice of the cops and closed the door to an out building in his backyard. The cops thought the man's behavior was suspicious and looked inside the building where they discovered some runaway teens. Among the teens in the building were at least 2 of his relatives. The homeowner was arrested for obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

So here are my questions regarding Ohio and/or federal law:

1. Did the police have a legal right to search the outbuilding? (based solely on a 'top' since no warrant was issued)

2. If not, then would the charges against the homeowner be dropped?

3. Are the teens legally allowed to runaway?

4. If not, then what charges could be brought against runaways?

5. Could additional charges be brought against the homeowner for harboring runaways even if he didn't know they ran away?

6. What other laws would be applicable in this case, if any?

I appreciate any help!

[This post has been moved to the appropriate forum. - Moderator]

Wrong board, but never mind.

"Did the police have a legal right to search the outbuilding?"

If they believed a crime was being committed or someone was in danger, I can't fathom someone being able to peg their search as illegal.

These are questions the homeowner should be posing to his criminal defense attorney.

" Are the teens legally allowed to runaway?"

Given they evidently aren't adults and someone was considered to be harboring a runaway, this is a weird question.

Charges won't be brought against the runaways for running away.

"Could additional charges be brought against the homeowner for harboring runaways even if he didn't know they ran away?"

Anything in theory is possible, and I suspect he'd have a hard time proving he didn't know they'd run away.