jtld424

Putting a lock box on the thermostat

Does a Landlord have the right to put a lockbox on a thermostat? I live upstairs in a garage apartment that has only one Heating unit and the upstairs apartment has the thermostat. The downstairs apartment gets cold in the winter while the upstairs is hot. The tenants downstairs called the land lord and said I wouldn't turn up the heat and they never contacted me anyway the landlord has now put a lock box on the thermostat and has it set for 70 degrees. Is this legal?

I don't know that it would be unlawful (you can ask the local government and code enforcement folks), but you're absolutely free to file a petition against the landlord in the landlord-tenant court if you don't have adequate heat. That the HVAC system/ducts aren't properly set up and the upstairs gets too hot isn't your problem.