vecryn

Fictitious plates in NC

I was wondering what kind of charge it is for driving a vehicle using plates off a previous car you owned. I was pulled over and given a ticket to appear in court about this. The citation is driving with fictitious plates. The plates went to my s10 which I just sold and bought an 01 focus and was using the plates till I could get my license switched over and get NC plates and tags. I didn't know it was wrong at the time but unfortunately I do now, so I was wondering what I'm looking at. Is this a misdemeanor or a felony or what is it. I know I am going to be in trouble I just don't know how much trouble yet =(. If anyone knows what the fine is as well that would be helpful.

All you had to do was take the plates to DMV, pay a fee and you'd get new plates. If transfer was from same class of vehicle, they'd have told you to keep the plates. DMV credits you for some of the registration paid on the prior vehicle. As to fraudulently displaying the plate on the car you'ver cost yourself quite a bit more money:

20-111:

(3) The giving, lending, or borrowing of a license plate for the purpose of using same on some motor vehicle other than that for which issued shall make the giver, lender, or borrower guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. Where license plate is found being improperly used, such plate or plates shall be revoked or canceled, and new license plates must be purchased before further operation of the motor vehicle.