notpaid2010

Bonuses not paid

My company had a bonus policy for management employees. It was based only on facility profitability. My facility made a profit, however, the corporation as a whole did not make a profit, so corporate decided, after the year was over, not to pay any bonuses. Is this legal? Can I sue for money owed? This is worth $50,000.00 to me alone, not to mention several other managers that should have been paid a bonus

"Is this legal?"

Why would you think it's unlawful? Bonuses aren't something the employer is required to give you, and policies can change.

"Can I sue for money owed?"

Sure, but unless the employer and you have a contract requiring them to pay you this money, I wouldn't expect to win. Even if this is a formal policy or informal one, that doesn't mean an employer can't say "Hey, Joe, you didn't get the memo; this bonus is discretionary."

You cannot count on bonuses ... or a job for that matter. Even if there is a contractual obligation, that doesn't mean it can't be breached.