bryanb73

Excessive Noise

I live in an an apartment complex in Euless, Texas. We have complained to our management about excessive noise coming from adjoining apartments from ours. Stereo equipment is being operated so loud that the walls vibrate and we are now experiencing hearing difficulty. There have been tenants slamming doors so hard it rattles the walls and knocked windows loose. We also called the police department and complained about it, but it has been useless. We've heard several others complain about it directly to the tenants, so we aren't the only ones.

The City of Euless has an ordinance against excessive noise and we've even contacted Code Services. We are current with our rent and have been for several months. We thought about contacting an attorney, however, we can't afford one right now. We are now on a six month lease period. Any suggestions? Do we just keep putting up with the noise?

I presume you've been very careful to identify it and have approached the neighbor without success. (People can misinterpret that sound is coming from next door when in fact it's coming from above or below and just vibrating through the walls, so I gather you've put an ear to the front door of the unit in question and proceeded accordingly.)

If the local government officials you can contact outside of law enforcement won't help (and presumably you've contacted the commanding officer of the station in charge of your area too), then all you can do is write to the landlord and say that this tenant is affecting everyone's quiet enjoyment and that their refusal to address (even if it means via eviction) means that you'll have to petition the landlord-tenant court to order them to address. I don't see an attorney helping or being cost-effective. I'd urge other tenants to do the same. I'd send the letter via certified mail and show on it that a copy went regular mail. If you aren't willing to follow up with actual legal action, however, don't bother.