christine1111

Have not recieved my W2

As of todays date 2/12/2010 I still have not received my W2's. I went into my place of employment yesterday and was told they were returned because I failed to give them my new address, the W2's were returned to them and they said they sent them back out on Monday 2/8/2010. I told them I did change my address when I moved in September of "09" and then I stated " If I didn't change my address then how did you know where to send my new insurance card, my last paycheck and the blank disability forms which were all sent to me in the middle of January"? My son also worked at the same facility and lives with me and he received his W2 forms on 2/3/2010. Her response was "Well, I'm not the one who sent them out." Shes the only one in the facility that does payroll and W2's ect. I'm really not sure what to do. I'm going in for surgery on 2/22/2010 and had really hoped to be able to get my taxes done before surgery. But at this rate I just don't see how that is going to happen. My question is, is there anyway I can get a copy of my W2's instead of waiting for them to come on the mail everyday? And what can I do about this person who is obviously holding my W2's hostage?

In another post I had asked told you my disability papers still had not been sent out. And when I called the disability company they didn't have a clue who I was. I asked them how long the employer has to send the paper work in and was told 30 days. I unfortunately forgot to ask what happens if they don't send them in in a timely manner. So my next question is , do you know what will happen if the disability papers aren't sent in in a timely manner?

You had also told me my employer only has to hold my job for 12 weeks. I was informed as long as I have a doctors note they have to hold it for a year. Maybe not my exact position, but when I do return they have to give me my job or something equivalent and at the same pay rate.

A little too much extraneous commentary given the topic.

If you're following up on an existing post, you should post as a reply-answer to that post.

You're free to file a complaint with the IRS and your state taxing authority about not receiving W-2s.

You don't need to file your taxes until April 15. :) (If you're someone who gives the U.S. government an interest-free loan every year and looks at it as "free money" that you're "saving" without having to save it and count on it by X date every year, sometimes there can be problems with that approach. Personally, I'd rather have more money each paycheck and not give Uncle Sam an interest-free loan.)

Seems to me if you believe someone is holding the W-2 hostage, you'd discuss with upper management.

I think I would have said about the short-term disability stuff that the law won't get involved with regard to an employer sending paperwork to its third party insurance provider. It's unclear what paperwork you're talking about, but is there a reason why you aren't asking the "disability company" what you need to do to address the claim? Again, I'd talk with someone in upper management. You don't just sit back and think something will magically happen to the employer.

"I was informed as long as I have a doctors note they have to hold it for a year."

I have no idea who told you this or what basis they'd have for saying so, but this wouldn't be a matter of law. If you have a union job and there's some union contract provision to this effect, fine (though employers have been known to violate union contracts from time to time, and the union may or may not give a damn about pursuing your interests). If there's no union contract, thre's no "have to" about it.

Maybe someone's confused about the fact that FMLA leave provides 12 weeks' worth of job protection from being fired due to a serious health condition over a 12-month/one-year period?