LyndaJacobsen

Disability Retirement

If I have posted my question in the wrong section, please forward it to the appropriate section.

I desperately need some help. My deadline is in 10 days.

Background:

I filed for CalPERS disability retirement and for Social Security Disability benefits.

The ALJ in the CalPERS disability case denied my application.

The ALJ in the Social Security case awarded me a fully favorable decision.

I appealed the CalPERS ALJ's decision to the CalPERS Board. It decided to remand my case back to the ALJ who had denied my application and directed the ALJ to review my Social Security hearing file, and other documents.

There was a pre-hearing conference held before the ALJ who had denied my application and he asked for briefing re issues of res judicata and estoppel. (Should I also include comity and claim preclusion arguments/case law? I have seen these terms used in my failed attempt to do my own research).

The ALJ also wanted to be briefed on how much weight should he give to the Board's directive; and, how much weight he should give to the documents in my Social Security hearing file, if any. Lastly, the ALJ asked for briefing on whether he is prevented from hearing this case since another ALJ has already determined that I qualify for full disability benefits.

The CalPERS attorneys are trying to argue that my social security hearing file not be entered into the record. (I do not understand this action since I presumed that CalPERS legal division would follow its own Board's directive...but apparently that is not the situation). Also, CalPERS legal staff is arguing that the criteria CalPERS uses is "different" than Social Security disability criteria. (That may be true but as a lay person, it would seem that if the criteria for full social security disability has been met, then any other criteria would be the same as or less than the high standard/criteria that has to be met in order to receive full social security disability benefits). Any case law that would discuss these issues favorably for me would be extremely helpful. (e.g., I need case law that discusses an ALJ being prohibited from ruling on a CalPERS disability case if a ruling of full disability has already been awarded by a Social Security ALJ).

Is anyone familiar with any California law that would help me with the upcoming remand hearing?

Obviously, I have no monies to retain an attorney but would be willing to try to work some type of contingency arrangement for legal assistance.

Thank you,

Lynda

It's best not to use your own name here; google is not your friend in this regard.

We cannot provide legal advice here even if we had all the relevant info, and I'm afraid the message boards are not the place to look for an attorney (even if we knew where you were); try the "find a lawyer" feature here or elsewhere, local and state bar associations for referrals, etc.

You should be consulting a local attorney familiar with CALPERS disability cases for legal research. You may be able to find someone who will take the matter on contingency.

I desperately need some help.  My deadline is in 10 days.

Background:

The ALJ in the CalPERS disability case denied my application. 

I appealed the CalPERS ALJ's decision to the CalPERS Board.  It decided to remand my case back to the ALJ who had denied my application and directed the ALJ to review my Social Security hearing file, and other documents.

There was a pre-hearing conference held before the ALJ who had denied my application and he asked for briefing re issues of res judicata and estoppel.  (Should I also include comity and claim preclusion arguments/case law?  I have seen these terms used in my failed attempt to do my own research). 

The ALJ also wanted to be briefed on how much weight should he give to the Board's directive; and, how much weight he should give to the documents in my Social Security hearing file, if any.  Lastly, the ALJ asked for briefing on whether he is prevented from hearing this case since another ALJ has already determined that I qualify for full disability benefits. 

The CalPERS attorneys are trying to argue that my social security hearing file not be entered into the record.  (I do not understand this action since I presumed that CalPERS legal division would follow its own Board's directive...but apparently that is not the situation).  Also, CalPERS legal staff is arguing that the criteria CalPERS uses is "different" than Social Security disability criteria.  (That may be true but as a lay person, it would seem that if the criteria for full social security disability has been met, then any other criteria would be the same as or less than the high standard/criteria that has to be met in order to receive full social security disability benefits).  Any case law that would discuss these issues favorably for me would be extremely helpful.  (e.g., I need case law that discusses an ALJ being prohibited from ruling on a CalPERS disability case if a ruling of full disability has already been awarded by a Social Security ALJ).

Thank you,

Lynda

Background:

Thank you,

Lynda

Lynda, I am involved in a very similar case and would be interested in learning how your case ended with CalPers. If the case it ongoing could we discuss efforts to find an attorney that would be interesting in dealing with CalPers.  Thanks, Lindsay

I have seen repeated suggestions by contributors suggesting former employees seeking disability from CalPERS search for an attorney at this sight that is familiar with CalPERS. Well, I did that and there response was No attorney available. I realize these attorneys will sometimes travel statewide for hearings but unable to pull any up.  Is there a secret to success I'm not aware of.  thanks

To Staff:

I dont remember exactly but I either used the term Alj hearing or CalPERS disability or Public employment disability retirement with a fresno zip code and then also used a second zip code to see if that changed it. 

I didnt know how to put in a statewide zip code or I would have done that. Thanks for responding.