livinginfear

arrest warrant for bad check

I just found out that I have a warrant for my arrest due to writing a bad check and failure to appear in the second degree. First of all I was unaware of a bad check being written. I was never notified also, I never received anything stating I was to appear in court.

How do I find out where the check was written and also how I can make the check good and also make the warrant go away? Please help, I'm scared to go outside. I live in AZ.

livinginfear said...

How do I find out where the check was written

Check your bank statements. Usually when you bounce a check, they send you a notice.

livinginfear said...

how I can make the check good and also make the warrant go away?

The two don't go together at this point. You can make the check good by paying the merchant you stiffed. The warrant however means charges have been file and there is a criminal case that you will have to deal with. The warrant will remain outstanding until you surrender to the court to answer on the charge. Consult a local attorney.

"First of all I was unaware of a bad check being written. I was never notified also"

Sorry, but that's not believable. Banks issue statements every month, and your bank statement would reflect a bad check and a bad check fee. Even if you negligently fail to keep track of your bank balance, you're chargeable with how much money you have in your account at any given time. If your balance is $200 and you write a $500 check, then you know or should know that the check will bounce. Whether the difference between actual and constructive knowledge makes any difference depends on the applicable law, and I'm not sure about AZ law in this regard.

As for the rest of your post, there's no way for you to get more information without exposing yourself to arrest. I would strongly suggest you contact a local criminal defense attorney to look into this on your behalf.

Have you gotten any answers yet? I am in a similar situation, however they are just now threatening a warrant. I also live in AZ-gotta love sheriff Joe! The check I wrote was in Pennsylvania about 7 years and I too do not know what the check is, but was able to get the bank information, which was my account in PA. I too am scared :)

This is to McDiggity:

I hired a lawyer this past Monday. I went to his office and discussed the issue of the check and then I met him at the court house later. He walked up to the counter spoke with the clerk, turned around and said okay we're done. He got me another court date and I don't even have to appear in court on the next date. He is going to speak to the judge by himself. He told me not to worry about it. The warrant was quashed that same day.

Your best bet would be to speak with an attorney, if you do have a warrant they can get it taken care of.

I know it's scary just hang in there and try to relax...easier said than done. I know it is. I wish you luck but, once you speak to an attorney they can put your mind at ease.

Good Luck and please let me know what happens. Gotta love AZ.