MZHOLLIDAY

LYING LANDLORD

I have been having electrical problems with this house for awhile now. I have been contacting the landlord since January about my utility bill going from 189 to 400 dollars a month. He has promised me that he would take care of the electrical problem everytime i call him. I called him and he refuse to answer or return my call what do I do?

Try contacting your landlord in writing. What state are you located in? You can check FindLaw's Learn About the Law page to research different topics of law. Since laws vary upon jurisdiction, please provide a little more background information which includes your state. The links below will take you to sites with useful information. Good luck.

I trust you've asked the local building-code enforcement folks to come do an inspection and perhaps cite the landlord. If not, do that. :)

Stop *calling* and start memorializing things in writing. I'd send a letter summarizing dates of contact and conversations.

Read your state's landlord tenant info. It will set out remedies for dealing with repair-related issues. At bare minimum, you can file a petition against landlord in local court.