cmarie53

normal wear and tear

What is considered normal and wear and tear to a rental? I live in Wisconsin and moved out of a house that we painted 4 rooms, bought blinds for 4 rooms and shampood the carpeting, Our landlord wants to charge us for all the blinds (which we purchased) he repainted the rooms we had already painted, and shampooing the carpet again.

3 weeks before we moved we noticed the carpeting i the basement was wet ib just one spot, I notified the landlord 4 times and he never showed up to look at it. I had to purchase a shopvac to keep up with the water problem, after we moved he finally came to look at it and it had turned out to be the water heater.

We lived there for 3 years and he showed up once. (he lives in illinois).

My question is; Can he charge us for normal wear and tear, the binds that we purchased.

thank You,

connie

I trust you can prove you purchased the blinds in case he wants to lie. Unless the paint job you did was atrocious or in some weird color, feel free to argue you owe him nothing. Same for the carpet.

He can charge you, but that doesn't mean you have to pay it. I'd send him a letter disputing that any of this was damage (I'd argue you aren't even talking normal wear and tear here). If he withholds part or all of a deposit, then you sue him for it if you disagree. You can either wait to see if he sues you for $$$, or you can sue him and seek a declaratory judgment on the issue of whether you owe him anything just to settle the issue.