Niceguy777

Tenant'sLeaseTerminatn-Change of Mind

I have a person who I might be able to move in with.

He lives in a Section 8 apartment.

24 days ago he sent a letter to his apartment's Managing Agent saying that he had bad memories of his mom who passed away and who used to live at his apartment and in that letter he indicated that he wanted to move and was giving a Tenant's 30 days notice.

The managing agent then called recently and asked if he found a new place. He said "No."

He's thinking of sending another letter in writing to the managing agent saying that he still hasn't found a new place and that he changed his mind because moving is too inconvenient for him now and that his apartment also brings good memories about his mom.

Typically, does a managing agent for section 8 housing, allow a person who sent a letter to it, to change their mind, and allow them to continue to pay their rental portion if they said they still haven't found a new place and that their are good memories of his mom at his current apartment which outweigh bad memories

If so, how much time, does he have to notify the Managing Agent? In about 6 days? Should he send, I guess, "A Tenant's Notice of Cancellation of Lease Termination" or a " Tenant's Change of Mind About Moving--I Now Want to Stay Notice" or something to that effect letter?

If so, what's the preferred method of notifying the Managing Agent? by fax, by regular mail? by overnight mail?

Please help me answer these questions for him and myself, I would benefit by being able to temporarily stay at his place.

You can count on someone in a Section 8 situation having restrictions on occupants (never mind his lease with the landlord having restrictions about subletting without permission).

The landlord doesn't have to agree to allow the tenant to withdraw a termination notice.

"He's thinking of sending another letter in writing to the managing agent saying that he still hasn't found a new place and that he changed his mind because moving is too inconvenient for him now and that his apartment also brings good memories about his mom."

This person is, frankly, a whackadoo -- who cares whether the apartment brings good memories or bad? The question is whether the person is on a m-t-m tenancy or a long-term tenancy. If a long-term lease is still in effect, as a landlord, I'd have told the tenant to pound sand on the termination notice regardless of his memories. :)

"Typically, does a managing agent for section 8 housing, allow a person who sent a letter to it, to change their mind ...."

I have no idea what is typical as it relates to Section 8 subsidized tenancies. :)

"If so, how much time, does he have to notify the Managing Agent? In about 6 days?"

Uhm, there's no legal requirement as to someone sending someone a letter saying they've changed their mind.

"Should he send, I guess, "A Tenant's Notice of Cancellation of Lease Termination" or a " Tenant's Change of Mind About Moving--I Now Want to Stay Notice" or something to that effect letter?"

There needn't be any cute title; a "something to that effect letter" would be fine.

"If so, what's the preferred method of notifying the Managing Agent? by fax, by regular mail? by overnight mail?"

Uhm, preferred to whom? He's free to send it via traceable means but, again, the landlord isn't obligated to allow him to rescind a termination notice.

You would do well not to get involved in this situation regardless; the friend sounds like a flake (and, again, there are the regulatory issues to worry about as to his receiving subsidized rent and allowing a third party to benefit from that).