riedberd

Non refundable cleaning charge

Less than 24 hours ago I paid the landlord $300.00 non refundable cleaning fee. I called him back today to rescind the deal since I found out I am going to be laid off from my job. I have not moved in to the apartment yet and it is not a lease, it is month to month. The landlord is refusing to refund the cleaning fee even though I have not even stepped foot into the aprtment other than when he showed it to me. Can he legally keep the cleaning fee?

Not clear what "deal" you're referring to, but I gather you agreed to lease a property. Otherwise, wouldn't be clear why you'd pay someone a nonrefundable cleaning fee. Also weird that you would have been asked to pay a nonrefundable cleaning fee vs. a security deposit.

"... it is not a lease, it is month to month."

This seems to imply that you think a "lease" has to be (i) long-term and (ii) in writing. Neither is true.

"Can he legally keep the cleaning fee?"

That's for a court to decide when you sue him for it. I would presume he's also going to sue you for at least a month's rent if you're reneging on an agreement to lease a place.

By deal I meant the agreement I signed that the cleaning fee was non refundable and that the rent was $590.00 a month. I was not to begin occupying the residence until September 20 but I found out last night that I am going to be laid off indefinitely from my job beginning this Friday. I called the new landlord first thing this morning to tell him I wasn't going to be able to afford the rent and needed to back out of the month to month agreement. I thought that most contracts have a rescind period. Mortgages do and so do car purchases. Why should this be any different?