atlanta1234

vacation rental rights?

We recently rented a vacation house and after checking out and getting home the owner then sends a nasty email stating that all of these damages were done to the house. And that he has filed a police report against us and then cashed our security deposit check. How and what rights am I allowed in order to fight these charges - he has since sent pictures and is demanding $2000.00 + dollars for repairs. Every single item he is claiming that is damaged we dont agree with. How can I prove that we didnt do it or what rights do I have?

And when we checked out he came and met us and walked over the house with us. Unfortunately I didnt get anything signed with his ok, but if the house was so awful wouldnt he have noticed when we were doing our walk thru?

You haven't bothered to mention where this was, but your first step would be to google the state's landlord tenant info.

You're free to write him a dispute letter, demand that he turn over your deposit, and sue him for your deposit if he refuses. Yes, you'd assume that if you supposedly trashed the place, he'd at least have called the cops on you before you left town.