jimmyrat

No unemployment check after 9 weeks out

I was terminated from my position #### Lowe's Home Improvement store on July 8, 2009. and on that day I filed for unemployment insurance. Well, it is now September 10 and still no unemployment check! Lowe's didn't correspond with employment security commission as to what the circumstances were concerning my dismissal. What should I do now or what, if anything can be done for such a long delay. I am broke and getting very near to foreclosure. Need some help!

Jimmy

I'm not sure, but I believe North Carolina law for such cases is, "if no unemployment security insurance is received after 8 weeks, then the employer must hire back". If anyone has a clearer idea than that, I would like to know.

Please don't post anything entirely in italics (or any other attribute).

I don't know where you got the idea that an employer has to hire you back if you don't get unemployment benefits. That's incorrect.

You were asked whether you contacted the unemployment commission folks to ask about the status of your claim -- you didn't answer that question. I suggest you contact the state unemployment folks and ask them why your benefits aren't forthcoming. Just because your employer chooses not to respond to a claim notice doesn't mean the state should just sit on it.