diane043

Neighbor Disputes

I have an ongoing problem with my neighbor. He has numerous times called the police on my husband or I stating that we are trying to kill his 7 dogs with poison. They have 7 large black lab mix dogs. Each weighing at least 50 or so pounds. Our town has no ordinance restricting the number of dogs you are allowed to have. Our lots are approx. 100' long x 40' wide. So the house is very close to mine. This had gotten to the point that the local police laugh when they come to our home to "tell us to stop throwing things over the fence into his yard to kill his dogs." He finds what he thinks is mold in his yard and blames us that we are trying to poison dogs with a white powder. It's been proven to him by the police that (he still doesn't believe it) that it is mold that he created by lining the fence on our side with cut grass then waters it daily. Hence he is growing mold, at one time he even called the police station claiming that there was a "suspicious substance" in his yard. The HazMat team from the next town came over, they actually had suits on and set up a "station" in the street to check on this substance. It was determined that it was petrified dog feces. The cop told us that the neighbor couldn't apologize enough. Our township wanted the neighboring town to bill him but they didn't. I have 6 reports from the police dept that they got a call from him that we threw powder over the fence. This is the tip of the iceberg with this guy. The past 3 years he comes home and takes them all outside and waters them down with a hose and they all bark continuously - I look at the clock and they are carrying on for 45 min. I have reported this to the Merchantville Police. Because of all this we filed harassment charges against him at the advice of our Police Chief , went to mediation and I was taken into a room with 5 people, showed them my pictures and they told me to "stop doing that I am not doing". Exact words! All we laughing at him and totally believed me that we did nothing!!! This has been the past 3 years, last summer he didn't call the cops once. Its starting again this summer, he had the police out here because my husband cut the top of a weed hanging over our 6' fence (we put up only on his side of the house ). The officer was new but heard about him and the mold stories. He just advised us that we should take pics next time we want to cut anything to prove it's hanging over. Today the neighbor filed harassment charges against my husband for cutting the "weed" top. We are charging him w/ harassment. but I want money damages for all these years. I am trying to get some other neighbors who hear the barking also to either come to court or write a statement for me. They have agreed. Pls review this and advise your opinion. Thanks so much. Like I said this is not every incident just a sampling of what has been going on with him. Thank you again.

Diane Lovell / 205 Glenwood Ave. / Merchantville NJ 08109

####.com

It's some kinda crazy to post your name and address on the internet, and we don't communicate off the board.

Also, in future, break up post into paragraphs vs. posting big blocks, which are hard to keep track of online.

I'm afraid you need to talk with a local attorney with experience filing civil nuisance claims. If the cops won't cite him for making a nuisance of himself in terms of police complaints, perhaps you can appeal to the head of the local city-county government or local citizenry to pass an ordinance about a fining system for such complaints. If there aren't any noise ordinances, his dogs are free to bark as they please. Again, perhaps something to lobby for with local citizens.

"... went to mediation and I was taken into a room with 5 people, showed them my pictures and they told me to "stop doing that I am not doing". Exact words!"

Sorry, but those "exact words" are awfully garbled, and it's not clear if you misquoted). In any case.....

"All we laughing at him and totally believed me that we did nothing!!!"

Huh?

I don't know what you expect folks to tell you other than to talk with a local attorney about a civil harassment claim and also work within local town to change ordinances.

kapk likes this