Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'new jersey'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Bankruptcy, Debt, and Taxes
    • Bankruptcy, Debt, and Taxes
  • Consumer Issues
    • Car Purchases & Repairs
    • Retail Purchases
    • Consumer Services & Disputes
    • Medical Treatment & Insurance
    • Archive
  • Criminal Law
    • DUI & DWI
    • Crimes Defined
    • Investigation, Arrest, & Trial
    • After Sentencing
    • Archive
  • Employment
    • Hiring, Firing, and Discrimination
    • Wages & Hours
    • Workplace Safety & Injuries
    • Archive
  • Family Law
    • Child Custody & Support
    • Education
    • Guardianship & Adoption
    • Marriage & Divorce
    • Archive
  • Immigration
    • Immigration
  • Injuries, Accidents, and Torts
    • Auto Accidents
    • Other Accidents & Injuries
    • Defamation & Identity
    • Personal Property & Money Disputes
    • Professional Malpractice
    • Archive
  • Legal Research How-To
    • Legal Research How-To
  • Real Estate & Landlord-Tenant
    • Buying & Selling Homes
    • Landlord & Tenant
    • Neighbors
    • Property Law
    • Archive
  • Small Business
    • Business Organizations
    • Running a Business
    • Trademarks, Copyrights, and Patents
    • Archive
  • Traffic Violations
    • Licensing Issues
    • Non-Injury Accidents
    • Traffic Infractions
    • Archive
  • Wills, Trusts, and Estates
    • Wills, Trusts, and Estates

Found 69 results

  1. Under Title 59 - Claims Against Public Entities, I was granted a motion to file a 'Late Notice of Claim' under N.J.S.A. 59:13 (6); where, I was given two (2) years to file the claim. Without any notice, and well before the two (2) years expired under Title 59, my 'claim' was inexplicably archived without notice by the courts. In my opinion, my rights under Title 59 have been violated; because, I was never given a chance to 'officially' file my claim before the two (2) year expiration. My intentions are to file a motion to reinstate, and possibly, file another claim against the State for violating my rights under Title 59 for not allowing me the opportunity to file before expiration. My question is: Am I on the 'right track' in pursing this case?
  2. Effective May 1, 2017 all land recordings submitted must be accompanied by a cover sheet. The new cover sheet contains mandatory indexing fields which are to be completed by the submitter. The cover sheet is part of the submitted land record and is included in the calculation of recording fees for documents with booking and paging fees ONLY. There is no additional fee when recording flat fee instruments. Failure to submit a cover sheet with all land recordings will result in a $20.00 indexing charge per N.J.S.A 46:26A-5. Cover sheets are specific to the county where the document is being recorded. Most c=of the county websites in the state have already uploaded their county specific cover sheet. Why is this important? The cover sheet adds an additional $10.00 to the recording fee. There will be a $20.00 indexing fee charged if a cover sheet is not included.
  3. New Jersey: Effective May 1, 2017 documents submitted for recording must have a cover page. See attached announcement. Recording Cover Page Notice and Document.pdf
  4. I am a beneficiary of an estate in NJ currently completing the probate process. Another beneficiary was named as executor. He is also a lawyer. The spreadsheet he provided shows that he is being paid as the executor AND and the attorney for the estate. Can he serve as both and be paid as both?
  5. I am currently amending a complaint in Federal Court and I would like to include a slander claim. I want to include the slander claim. I have read up that: "You cannot file in federal court unless you are a resident of a different state than where the business is located. This is known as diversity jurisdiction. Because there is no federal question/federal law (defamation is a state cause of action), the only way you could get in federal court is if you and the employer are from different states and your claim is for more than $75000." I live in New Jersey, work in New Jersey but the people I am suing is the labor union that committed the slander. They are located in New York city. Can I sue them in federal court and if I can, under what law. Thank you for any help in advance.
  6. I have an internet marketing client that advertises chiropractic treatment on Facebook and they have a former client who continues to write negative reviews and comments on their facebook posts and ads, despite being offered monetary compensation and being asked by the attending chiropractor to cease. What legal recourse or other best practices should this chiropractor use to protect their online reputation from slander and deformation? When the assistant at the practice called the offender to ask him why he is posting these comments and whether the practice could do anything to help him, he yelled at her over the phone and told her that there was nothing she could do and that the practice mislead him.
  7. My ex-husband died of a drug overdose in July 2017. Is our 20 year old daughter (next of kin) responsible for all his debt? She is receiving hospitals bills. One person says, "Yes" and another person says, "No." She is so confused on what to do. She did not live with him, if that has anything to do with it.
  8. can a defendant sue a plaintiff for attorneys fees from a frivolous custody battle that resulted in a judge stating the defendants rights were violated and the child was returned to the mother (def). the case ended in 2011.
  9. Is it legal for my ex husbands attorney to subpoena all of my phone calls from my home and cell phones and text messages and then call everyone on my phone and text messages to say he was Verizon and asked how these people knew me? And to make it worse they even called my psychiatrists personal cell and asked as well. I find this really unprofessional and I personally think it's illegal. I had someone sign a deposition to show the judge and the judge said I couldn't prove it yet I have numerous people now ready to testify. I feel the judge is being unfair as well bc I've felt from day one he was on their side and this really showed me I was right. Am I wrong about the phone calls?? Can they portray the phone company? Legally? I called there and asked if they were Verizon and the secretary freaked put me on hold and never came back. I need real advice as I really want to see if I can file an ethics complaint or ten. Please help. This is only one of many illegal things this attorney has pulled and the judge made my old attorney recuse herself and left me alone with no representation. I'm lucky to have found a good attorney but I'm on limited funds with a terminally ill son so I need to do some of my own leg work. Thank you so much in advance.
  10. My step dad passed in June. There are no living children, or other relatives. His ex-wife has an order in New Jersey for past child support arrears due her. He lived in Florida. Decedent recently received a notice from the court for non-payment ( I assume previously it was deducted from his SS check). I am personal rep and have an attorney, but looking for additional advice. Does this order die when the defendant dies?
  11. My teen daughter is being bullied by a fellow student. He has threatened her with multiple comments; "I'm gonna put you in the hospital", "If I see you in the street with my cousins, I'm gonna drag you in the street", "No matter where you go, I'm gonna find you; I'm always gonna be there". (BTW, I have a video where you can hear the audio of the comments) The school's HIB investigation conclusion; is the bullier is not to have any contact with my daughter and in school counseling. It now a month that passed and the bullier is now having other students physically/verbally attack my daughter. (the school is doing nothing about it). The bullier almost on a daily basis is next to my daughter. I would like to obtain a restraining order against this child. I need advice on how to go about it and what are my legal rights. Appreciate all your assistance.
  12. Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this matter. Your help is much appreciated. I was recently let go by a company I was working for from July 2015-Feb 6,2016. The company is based out of GA, I live in NJ. I was presented a one months severance package that I need to get in 21 days from Feb 6th or it is null and void. I reported directly to the CEO and have asked him about the bonus plan that was in place for me to be payed in 2016. The plan is very clear how I'm to get paid, but what is not clear are the numbers being reported. As the VP of sales I knew all of the forecasted sales numbers and actuals. The bonus payout they sent me was about 50% of the money I should be receiving. I have responded back to this and haven't heard back on this bonus issue, as I feel they are probably trying to figure out a way to get out of paying me. This is a 2016 bonus and should have been paid in 2016. Before leaving, I had brought this up to the CEO several times and he said he would get me the details, but never did. My concern is if I sign the severance agreement, does that prohibit me from going after my bonus money? There is a "GENERAL RELEASE OF ALL CLAIMS" in the severance package ( I can provide the exact wording if need be) There is also a SECTION 5 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS AND AFFIRMATIONS states that "Employee has been paid/ and or has received all compensation, wages, bonuses, commissions, and or benefits employee may be entitled to. There is more to it than that, but that is part that concerns me. A few days later, they did in fact send an email and bonus payout that is like I said above about 50% of what it should be. The letter does state that THIS LETTER IS SEPARATE AND APART FROM THE CONFIDENTIALTY SEPARATION AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE BUT IS INTENDED TO CLARIFY CERTAIN LANGUAGE CONTAINED IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH OF SECTION 5 (SEE ABOVE). It goes on to say it has come to their attention that they owe me bonus money. They have a schedule of that, but it is not correct. My inquiries to clarify have not been answered. Here are my concerns. If I sign the Severance agreement, they could hold this up as acknowledgement of the lower bonus payout? There is also language with the bonus payout that states: "SUCH BONUSES WILL BE PAID ON OR ABOUT MARCH 15TH ACCORDING TO "COMPANY NAME" ROUTINE BONUS PAYMENT SCHEDULE. THIS CALCULATION IS SUBJECT TO REVISION BASED ON ANY CHANGES RESULTING FROM OUR ANNUAL FINANCIAL AUDIT. THE BONUS WILL BE PAID ONCE THE AUDIT IS COMPLETE. I understand this, but it seems like another way for them to get out of paying some money. The other question they won't answer-- Is this the same way all of my other VP colleagues are being paid for 2016 bonuses? If that is the case, not big deal, but if my other VP colleages already received their 2016 bonus, do I have the right to receive it just as they have (it is already 2 months late). Thanks in advance, Al
  13. i was fired 1 week ago after 26 years of service.i am a truck driver and company installed cameras,out of 19 trucks only 6 of them currently have them.i find a camera going off everytime i hit a pothole is distracting so i blocked it from being on me.inever had any job issues in the 26 years of service.i was spoken to a few times about it. other drivers did the same thing.i was never threatened about being fired.i am in new jersey which is a at will state. this past saturday there was a drivers meeting and all of a sudden they were told that blocking the camera is grounds for firing.i am 68 and have difficult time finding a job , probably going to lose my i have any recourse.
  14. I just bought a CPO 2014 Honda Odyssey on 11/26 and no one noticed (including myself) nor brought it up to my attention it had a cracked windshield (over 12" long behind the rearview mirror). I hadn't seen it until the car was prepped and all stickers were removed from the windshield and I was on my way home that I saw it. I called them and reported the issue and have been waiting for a resolution since 11/26. According to the ad pictures and stickers the crack seems to have been covered. Do I have a case to pursue this? I just want them to fix and/or replace the windshield if necessary for safety reasons. p.s. According to their CPO checklist that I just reviewed few mins ago, they had the windshield listed as NOT meeting standards which violates their CPO compliance to tag the asset as certified... so why sell it as a pre-owned and mis-guide customers... Thoughts or advise please?
  15. I was sentenced to prison in September 1996. I was ordered to pay restitution which I am still paying since September,1996. The sentence was for 20 months with time off concluded on or about March 15, 1998. I am now beyond the "20" year period of my term for the conclusion of my restitution obligation based on the "VWPA". Victim Witness Protection Act of 1996. There is still money left on the restitution requirement. The question I have is will either the Sentencing Judge or the Financial Litigation Unit notify me of the conclusion of this case and stop Social Security from taking out my garnishment every month. Thanks,
  16. I switched doctors recently and when he was going through my daughters vaccine records he saw she got an MMR shot and 2 MMR boosters as opposed to 1 that is normally given. She recently was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes which is linked to the MMR vaccine and Rubella. Is there grounds for a lawsuit?
  17. Our landlord brought natural gas lines into our mobile home park. Then, they offered free gas stove or gas dryer to entice folks to switch to the natural gas, hook up included. Several home owners agreed. The gas company put in their meters and have started billing the home owners, but the landlord has not come through with the free appliances. Now these home owners are being billed for the line and meter while also still having to pay for their propane services. Anyone have any idea what these home owners can do now? I've searched the New Jersey statutes but this scenario isn't covered under the applicable Landlord/Tenant laws.
  18. I'm posting this because I really need a answer. Because I had already spent a lot of money trying to solve the Issues of my mom estate. My mother die in Camden N.J she own fifty percent of a house and had a bank acct. My mother boyfriend turn everything over to my brother and his wife. Well this is where fun start. I tried once to probate the house and them my brother tried to become sole administer but I block it. Them we became co-administers, it was not by choice. The agreement was I would get brought out he would hand me after the bank acct. I never got paid. So what I wanted to is change it only me. Now, my mother ex-boyfriend it I don't get this done is going to sell The Camden N.J. house right under me. I been told I need to go to the appellate court?. I went to the site and they have so many form I been lost. I called the clerk never got a call back.. I live in Maryland, so I'm guessing they didn't want to brother. I hope some one can help or point me in the right way. This is just a few law papers I have. Application for Administration.doc
  19. I live next to a commercial property and they have large trees along a fence that separates our properties. One of the trees are splitting and if it falls it will fall onto our driveway and thus our cars. I have asked the owner of the property to cut the trees but he does not want to. I know that I can cut the trees as it is on my side but if I ask my neighbor does he have to cut it because it may cause damage? Can I have the city cut the tree? Or am I responsible for all the branches that are on my side.
  20. My son's court case involving his death had been dismissed. Is there a time limit that I have to file with the courts for Insufficient of counsel? I'm inclined to believe that the Expert Witness that was hired for this case had also overlooked or lacked crucial information, regarding his calculations, (which had been the relevant factor in the determination of non negligence of the defendants), is there a separate course of action that I would need to take in that regard or would that be included with the filing of insufficient of counsel? Lastly, if I believe I have substantial evidence that the defendants had supplied False testimony, does substantial evidence generally permit a case to be re-opened. If yes, what would be my course of action? Would that be included in the filing of Insufficient of counsel? If substantial evidence is generally not considered enough to have a case re-opened, would absolute proof of False testimony offer a chance of re-opening a case. I'm willing to persist in finding the absolute proof, if in fact, that would make a difference in having the case re-opened. My question here is, is there a time limit that I have to present Evidence of False testimony? I'm hoping someone can assist me with any of the above questions. Thank you for your time.
  21. Hi, I live along with my family in a rental condominium in New Jersey, USA. About 3 days ago, we received a notice from a law firm that represents our community Management office. The notice indicates that the landlady of our rental premises that we are living has an outstanding fees of about $8K that she owns to the community Management office for services towards this unit. She has defaulted in her payments towards that and is not willing to pay that to the office for reasons that I'm not aware of. Now, the notice warns that we as current residents, should make our rental payments to the community Management office directly and that they'll consider this towards her outstanding arrears. Failing to do so, they would file an eviction suit against us and pursue other means as per the condominium rules and regulations. One other info that we found last night is, as per the condominium rules handbook, if an owner has $3,500 or more in arrears towards the office for more than 30 days(which she has already), they'd pursue parking enforcement rules and can get the tenant's/owner's vehicles towed from their carport and our parking privileges will also be revoked thereof. I feel horrible about this situation since we as tenants even though have nothing to do with this situation and were unaware of this situation until the notice came through, we have unfortunately become "circumstantial victims" that would go through pains of having to deal with the consequences. To add to this, our landlady is a horrible illogical, cruel person and has never addressed any of our concerns in this unit. We have a 6 month lease signed with her and is due to expire in mid-December 2016. We had been victims of several problems in past and she even went beyond means and once shut off utilities(electricity) to us while we were living there. This happened back in August and we have a police complaint filed on her name. The lease agreement asks for the utility bills to be paid to her in cash and that we cannot have it directly in our name. But since she took an extreme step to shut off utilities, we have now taken a "new" electricity, gas and water connection in our name as per the sheriff's advice who visited us that time. We are extremely desperate about this situation and are looking forward to get out of this rental premises and move elsewhere. We do not have proper understanding of New Jersey state laws in terms of breaking this contract with her by a month earlier and leave end of October or early November pursuant to us finding a better rental home soon. We have gone through immense mental stress and find this place very unsafe and are in fear every moment not knowing what else might come out of the blue. My worry of paying rental checks for the upcoming month to the Management office is that, I do not know if the landlady can then file an eviction against us failing to pay her the rent as per our signed lease agreement with her. My husband believes the lease agreement is probably already void since she already shut off the utilities and let us struggle and that's illegal. We had enough and do not want to be here anymore. We are also worried about getting our one month security deposit back from her due to her mean nature. We don't know what's the right thing to do and whom to go to in order to talk about all of this in detail. We are unable to afford to pay for expensive legal services and I'm looking for some dire help from people who are passionate about helping others. Can you please help us overcome this situation?
  22. I sent a notice to quit letter to my tenants. Because they moved in 2 extra people not on the lease. I ask them to move the people out or all of them will have to move. one of the tenants moved with out telling me anything the other tenant has not moved but has been talking to me about moving. She now told me she is going to move. it is now the end of the month and I do not have time to get the place rented in time so I will not louse a month rent or more I have a deposit but I do not know what I do now. do I rent the house and then send the notice to one person (because I do not know where the other person is) what I used the deposit for? (and can I use the deposit for the loss of rent?) or do I have to go to court to end the lease and rent the place? How long do I have to wait before to see if the first person comes back and who do I give the left over deposit to? The person that I can not get in touch with the receipt for the deposit name is in.
  23. My child support case is in New Jersey, but I live in Florida! As of November of last year, the state of Florida told me that they were suspending support payments to New Jersey because they found some irregularities. They conducted an audit which indicated I've been over paying for years. As of July of this year, the audit was concluded & the funds were released back to New Jersey. Please keep in mind, my payments are up to date & current. New Jersey put another hold on the support payments to my daughter whom will be 21yrs old in November, because they say I'm now a little over $700.00 in rears! As of right now, $4,047.00 is being held & either state can give me a straight answer....
  24. Student parking lot. Sign does say restricted permit parking NJ law enforcement. Denied using handicapped parking space with dr ordered valid Nj state temporary handicapped issued tag because name was not chosen in random lottery weeks prior to disabling injury. Administrator said Had student been chosen several weeks ago, using handicapped spot now would not be an issue. Isnt this violation of ADA?
  25. about 6 7 months ago i financed a car from the bank and when i received the title for the car there was no lien recorded on it so i told the bank to take the car back as i wasnt able to make payments any more because after couple of months i was out of job and unemployed but bank didnt took the car back and about 3 months ago i had to go to overseas so i by mistakenly transferred the title and registered the car under my friend name now the title and registration is under my friend name and i told him to sign and send title to bank along with a letter stating that i did this by mistakenly and he already send the title and a letter stating that bank can add lien on the title and can take the car back and its been 3 month's and i havent heard any thing from the bank and upon checking the dmv site there isnt any lien added on the car and title and the bank hasnt took the car yet what should i do i still have the car and not even using it any more as i want the bank to take the car back