Jump to content


Lien on Driver's License

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ConSyderate


    New Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

A person caused a vehicle accient and they didn't have insurance. I was told that I could place a lien on their driver's license for the amount of damaged sustained to my vehicle if they refuse to pay for my damages. How do I do that?  I live in Oklahoma.

#2 Badge203


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

To be honest with you, I have never heard of a private party holding a lien on another person DL.

I checked Oklahoma Law and they do not show anything like that

You may want to contact the drivers license division at a branch office and if this is possible they will tell you how to do it

You can sue them for the damages and if they do not pay the state can pull their license, but that has nothing to do with you actually doing it yourself

#3 Guess_Again


    Diamond Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

IF you sue and win the lawsuit and the person then does not pay the court ordered damages, you can file a form to that effect with the motor vehicle licensing division and they can suspend the license.  You can't do it without a judgment and it isn't automatic.

#4 ConSyderate


    New Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

I found the answer to this question by writing to the Dept of Public Safety in Oklahoma.  You will be surprised to know that you can put a lien on a person's drivers license.  Here's the response I received from DPS...

State law provides for using driver license suspension as leverage to collect for damages stemming from a collision with an uninsured motorist who is liable for damages caused in the collision.

There is a collision form online that you can download, complete, and mail to us along with a garage estimate which has been signed by the person who evaluated the damage. If anyone was hurt, all their medical expense (itemized medical bills identifying the patient and date of services) should also be included.

To initiate this action agains the uninsured motorist (and owner if the person driving the vehicle was not the owner), that person's name and date of birth must be included to identify their driving record. If their Oklahoma driver license is known, the date of birth is not as important.

Go to...

(right column, scroll down to "FR Insurance

Exchange" link)

Now we know!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users