Jump to content


death benefit for ward of state

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hozho1


    New Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

I'm wondering, when a handicapped person who is a ward of the state of Iowa and living in a group home, receiving Medicaid, dies:

1) Who pays for the funeral?

2) Who pays for the burial?

3) How is the method of burial decided?

4) What are the $ limits?

5) Are the small assets (medicare severely limits these) left by the deceased used:

 i) prior to state funds,

 ii) in addition, or

 iii) not at all?

#2 Fallen


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:29 AM

Sorry, but the audience here is very limited and I suspect the chances of someone here being familiar with what happens in Iowa is very slim.

I can't imagine that costs of a traditional funeral will be paid for by the state.  Obviously, any friend of the deceased who wants to make arrangements is free to do so. 

These questions should be directed to whomever was appointed this person's legal guardian.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users