Michigan Abandonment Law

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DDyson

DDyson

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Is the penalty for child abandonment in Michigan a felony? If so or not what are the penalties?

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,802 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Your question makes no sense.  Crimes may be felonies; penalties are not.  Child abandonment might result in loss of parental rights, but I don't know whether or not it's a crime.

Why do you ask?

#3 FindLaw_Kevin

FindLaw_Kevin

Bronze Contributor

• Administrators
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Several states do include child abandonment in their child abuse statutes, but Michigan does not appear to.  So that would mean, as pg1067 mentioned, that it could result in a loss of parental rights, but probably not in criminal prosecution.  However, you might want to talk to a local attorney to be determine that the specific behavior would not fall under the child abuse statute.

Looking for self-help tools to help you take care of your own legal problems?  Try one of our downloadable mini-guides!

#4 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,922 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I've little doubt something like abandonment would fall under the heading of abuse or neglect or endangerment (since I presume you're referring to a situation of someone leaving a kid in an unsafe situation, e.g., by the side of the road).  It'd be better to ask local law enforcement to offer an opinion about what charges might be sought under given circumstances (unmentioned in your post).

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users