Looking for a probono criminal lawyer ASAP big case

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 freedomblue

freedomblue

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

I am looking for a probono criminal lawyer or firm to represent my relative. He will be sentenced soon. We have evidence of framing and possible FBI investigation. I cannot say anymore due to the fact this case has been on the news. Does anyone know of a lawyer or firm willing to do probono for a large criminal case? You will be in the spot light if that helps.

Thank you

#2 TheGeneral_KD

TheGeneral_KD

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

It's important to say what state this is in, since lawyers are licensed to practice in particular states and not licensed in others.

If your relative is about to be sentenced, then it sounds like he/she has already been convicted, so....if that's the case, it may be too late for an attorney to be of the most help to your relative.

#3 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,551 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

To tweak General's answer a bit, this wouldn't be the place to look for an attorney (and someone would need to know more than the state, but the locality at any rate).

It should tell you something if it's a newsmaker case that anyone would need to put a request on a national community message board for counsel (whereas such cases will attract on their own willing counsel, whether one is looking for it or not).

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#4 freedomblue

freedomblue

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

The case is in Florida. So there wouldnt be a chance to overturn the ruling? I am looking at all possible resources to help my relative. Looking for a probono criminal lawyer, does anyone know of one? 

Thank you

#5 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

You're not going to find a free lawyer for your relative here.  Presumably, he has or had an attorney that was either privately retained or provided by the court.  As a rule criminal defense attorneys don't work for free and the rare cases they do take without pay are usually in or beyond the appellate stage.   

#6 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,551 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

"So there wouldnt be a chance to overturn the ruling?"

We cannot possibly know whether there's a chance to "overturn the ruling" (presumably conviction, since you refer to sentencing).

"Looking for a probono criminal lawyer, does anyone know of one?"

This is about as broad a question as you could possibly ask (and not productive). Again, message boards wouldn't be the place to look for attorneys (or referrals for ones). 

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#7 healerbree

healerbree

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

DON'T LISTEN to the old BLOWHARDS who are GREEDY...there are resources, contact ALL criminal Attorneys that list PRO BONO on their website in the city of the arrest.  Also, go to www.probono.org and Google pro bono attorney criminal Florida.  THEN....pray that the BEST Attorney for your family member come to you, in God's speed, pro bono!!!  We need one too so if I pray you find one and you pray we find one...it's done~AMEN!!!   Blessings

Edited by FindLaw_Kevin, 21 January 2014 - 12:20 PM.
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. - Moderator

#8 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

The few pro bono attorneys that handle criminal cases don't take them at the trial level.

#9 FindLaw_Kevin

FindLaw_Kevin

Bronze Contributor

• Administrators
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

If this is still at the trial level (which would be implied by it being between conviction and sentencing) your relative should have have been entitled to legal counsel (a public defender) who should still be representing them through sentencing.  After sentencing, there are probono legal organizations concerned with appeals and exoneration.  The innocence project is probably the most well known.  Also depending on where you live there may be other probono criminal organizations who would be willing to help.  You might try one of these links if he lives near Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, West Palm Beach, or Gainesville to find free legal aid.

Looking for self-help tools to help you take care of your own legal problems?  Try one of our downloadable mini-guides!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users