Photo

can a car have a salvaged title that was a theft recovery?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 meow2k4

meow2k4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

will there be a specific form for theft car? Ca.

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

can a car have a salvaged title that was a theft recovery?

Yes.

will there be a specific form for theft car? Ca.

Salvage will appear on the title and in the DMV records.

If you are asking how that information gets to the DMV, the insurance company reports it.

Is there a form that insurance companies use? I imagine there is.

Why do you want to know?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

You may be interested in reading: Salvaged Vehicles in California.

#4 sammy1204

sammy1204

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

The simple answer to your question is YES ! 

This does not always make complete sense but when the insurance pays their insured for a stolen vehicle that has not been recovered, usually the waiting time is 30 days from the date of the theft, if the vehicle is recovered after that it will end up with a salvage title. 

The insurance company then auctions off the recoverd vehicle to recover as much of their money as they can.  Some nice bargins can be obtained an an insurance company auction. The major problem is that a side effect of the salvage title is that all manufactures warranties are null and void because of the salvage title. So you could buy a real nice 2 year old jeep with say 35,000 miles on it at the auction.  Even though it would normally still qualify for the original warranty, the warranty is void.

I'm not saying one should not buy a vehicle with a salvage title, just be aware of the ramifications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users