Photo

Two inspections for housekeeping skills in less than a week, is this legal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jydawg

jydawg

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

My daughter lives in an apartment complex where the onsite property manager seems to harassing her about her housekeeping skills. Although her housekeeping skills could use a lot of improvent; her apartment is not a rat infested pig sty. Is it it legal for the property manager to perform multiple inspections in less tha a couple weeks exclusively for poor housekeeping.

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Yes, it's probably legal, especially since "her housekeeping skills could use a lot of improvement."

She's apparently done something that brought her to the attention of the management.

As soon as she straightens up her act, the inspections will stop or at least be much further apart.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

You may visit the Real Estate Law Center: Landlord Tenant Law and read Tenant Privacy Rights as a good resource to learn more about your rights.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,340 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

Yes, it's probably legal, especially since "her housekeeping skills could use a lot of improvement."

She's apparently done something that brought her to the attention of the management.

As soon as she straightens up her act, the inspections will stop or at least be much further apart.

I completely disagree.  The poster didn't identify the relevant state, but I'm not aware of any state that allows a landlord to "inspect" residential premises for purposes of ascertaining the orderliness or cleanliness of the leased premises.  Generally, a landlord has a right to access leased residential premises for things like emergencies, maintenance, and exhibiting the premises to potential buyers or future tenants, and access requires advance notice (except for emergencies).  Unless the poster's daughter's lease allows for regular inspections for this purpose, it is likely that the daughter may simply refuse.  If the landlord enters without permission, she may have a claim against the landlord.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users