Registration and Plates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davidmoua

davidmoua

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

So I purchased my vehicle back in December. I requested it to be registered in California, however seeing that it may have been a problem i asked if there were going to be any problems with registration since i will be stationed in North Carolina. The finance person said there wouldn't be any. However, when my father went to register my vehichle in California, they said it couldnt be done because the vehicle needed to be inspected. Furthermore my father explain the situation to them and they told him that the dealership needed to request the paper work back from the dmv in california, and then send them to the dmv in North Carolina. I've tried contanctacting the Dealership for more than two months, however I have yet to hear anything from them. I've left messages, sent in messages day after day, yet still nothing. Now my question is, is there anyway for me to return this vehicle, because obviously they have yet to be of assitance. I'm paying for a vehicle that I can't even use. Thanks!

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

No, you don't get to return the vehicle.

Requesting something that's impossible just means that it doesn't get done and there's no penalty for not doing it.

When I was stationed in Georgia and I bought a car there, it had to be registered in GA and I had to buy insurance in GA.

It's likely that NC motor vehicle title and registration laws require you to do the same.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 davidmoua

davidmoua

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Ok I understand the not returning th vehicle part.

However, isn't it on them to get the original documents to the DMV in order for me to register my vehicle? I already have insurance for the vehicle. I went to the DMV here in NC and all they require is the Manufacturer Cerifacte of Origin Odometer disclosure and Bill of Sale. I requested these documents from the dealership, however, they aren't giving me the documents.

Am I entitled to keep paying for the vehicle although they aren't doing their part?

#4 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

However, isn't it on them to get the original documents to the DMV in order for me to register my vehicle?

Well, the common practice when you buy from a dealer is that you are issued a temporary tag while the paperwork goes to the DMV. Generally, shouldn't take more than the 30 days that the temporary tag is good for.

I went to the DMV here in NC and all they require is the Manufacturer Cerifacte of Origin Odometer disclosure and Bill of Sale. I requested these documents from the dealership, however, they aren't giving me the documents.

How did you request them? Did you go to the dealer and collar a manager? If not, that's what I suggest you do next.

Am I entitled to keep paying for the vehicle although they aren't doing their part?

Unfortunately, yes. You borrowed the money to buy the car and the dealer has already been paid by the finance company. The finance company doesn't care if you never drive car and the car dealer isn't helping because he's already been paid and car dealers are liars, thieves, and scumbags.

Taking the car back would only be a voluntary repo and a default on the loan. Wouldn't do you any good because you'd still owe the finance company a chunk of money after they resold the car.

If you can't get anywhere with a personal visit to the manager or owner of the dealership I suggest you take your problem to your base's JAG officer and see if you can get some help there.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,324 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I requested it to be registered in California, however seeing that it may have been a problem i asked if there were going to be any problems with registration since i will be stationed in North Carolina. The finance person said there wouldn't be any.

I'm not sure I follow this. What caused you to "see[] that it may have been a problem" to register the vehicle in CA? Where did you purchase the vehicle? In CA or NC? If the latter, why did you request that it be registered in CA?

However, when my father went to register my vehichle in California, they said it couldnt be done because the vehicle needed to be inspected. Furthermore my father explain the situation to them and they told him that the dealership needed to request the paper work back from the dmv in california, and then send them to the dmv in North Carolina.

This is really convoluted. If you requested that the dealer register the vehicle, why did your father go to register it in CA? You said that "it couldnt [sic] be done because the vehicle needed to be inspected," but why was that a problem? Because the vehicle wasn't actually located in CA?

Now my question is, is there anyway for me to return this vehicle, because obviously they have yet to be of assitance. I'm paying for a vehicle that I can't even use.

Car dealerships ordinarily handle the initial process of registering a vehicle as a courtesy. It certainly is not a material part of the transaction such that the dealer's failure to provide such service would allow you, the buyer, to rescind the contract. I don't really understand your statement that you "can't even use" the car. All you need to do to use it legally is register it. If you're in NC, then register it there.

I went to the DMV here in NC and all they require is the Manufacturer Cerifacte of Origin Odometer disclosure and Bill of Sale. I requested these documents from the dealership, however, they aren't giving me the documents.

Then you go back to the DMV and explain the problem and ask for another solution (I also agree with "adjusterjack's" suggestion about visiting the dealer and "collaring" a manger).

I assume you meant obligated, not entitled. Your oblgiations under the loan are likely completely separate because the dealer is likely not the lender, and the lender is likely not affiliated with the dealer.

#6 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Have you addressed this issue with the DMV regarding your title & registration?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users