Jump to content


married with a citizen who has never filed tax before

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harry87


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

My wife who is a citizen,has never filed tax before,is there any way she can help me file with Uscis?or do i have to find a sponsor?and is it not gonna affect us because my wife she has never worked before and never filed tax.Please help me with the answer

#2 Tax_Counsel


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,500 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

If the reason she hasn’t filed a tax return is because her income is too low to be required to file, that raises the issue of how she’s supporting herself and, importantly, how’d she support you if you come to live in the U.S. While your wife can sponsor you for admission to the U.S., the two of you need to show that you can support yourselves without relying on government aid. As you can imagine, U.S. citizens do not want to be supporting foreign persons with their tax dollars, so the immigration law takes that into account. For more information on what you wife would need to do, see the USCIS booklet “How Do I Help My Relative Become a Permanant U.S. Resident?”

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Are you referring to the Affidavit of Support, which is legally required for many family-based and some employment based immigrants to show they will have adequate means of support after immigration to the U.S?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users