Expunge my record

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bender555

bender555

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I need to clear my record of a dwi which was thrown out of court how would I go about to get this done.

#2 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

This depends upon the state in which you were arrested. Most states have statutes related to expunging criminal records. However, there are typically legal "hoops" you must jump through to obtain the expungement. Find a qualified criminal defense lawyer in the geographic area where this happened to give you insight into the process. Good luck.

#3 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,940 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Even if you'd said where you are, this isn't something someone can walk you through from a message board. If charge was dismissed, then you need only address the topic of the arrest expungement. If the court site in question doesn't have expungement forms and instructions online and a visit to the court doesn't help, then you seek local counsel.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#4 zealouslegalservices

zealouslegalservices

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

I agree that I wouldn't do this without an attorney. However, to cut costs & do it right. Retrieve in advance as much as you can to assist your attorney. Additionally, check with your local Public Defenders Office, Criminal Court Website, Yellow Pages & State Bar as a resource.

This is an important task in your life & don't this without an attorney. My son actually got a DUI, is now in his first year of college & the DUI Attorney will do the expungement. I'm making payments now because money is tight.I want this done right, records are so easy to access now and don't even do this without an attorney.

Attorneys are really good if paid in advance and I'd start soon. I listed some sites that I used as a guide. Be Good and make this happen! Gina

Santa Clara County Site
http://www.scscourt....m_records.shtml

Public Defenders Site
http://www.sccgov.or...l-Programs.aspx

California State Bar
http://www.calbar.org

#5 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,940 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Please note that you don't HAVE to use an attorney. Ultimately, it's simply a matter of filling in forms and following instructions (there's often a separate application/process for dealing with the police report records). If your jurisdiction doesn't make forms available and you don't want to spend the time reviewing other similar paperwork, then you use a lawyer.

Regardless of whether or not you use a lawyer, you want to ensure that the information is actually removed by following up and doing a background search, etc.

And note that in this day and age, private databases that vacuum up information from public records are an entirely separate kettle of fish and once that info is out there, they aren't obligated to remove it (though they may) from their database. Legally, once expunged, you're free to say you weren't arrested for the offense in question, but expungement is no guarantee that a given party won't be in a position to get info on the topic.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#6 bender555

bender555

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm out of Texas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users