multiple vehicles and my parked car

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arch12345

arch12345

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

my car (A)was parked and was hit by another vehicle B. the owner of vehicle B claims they were hit by another vehicle © who ran a stop sign, which caused them to hit my car. they have a surveillance video showing this. vehicle C drove off without stopping. I am completely not at fault, since I was parked and not even in the vehicle at the time. the insurance company for B says that they are not responsible, since their client was pushed into me by ©. is this correct? I do not have collision coverage on (A) since it is an older car. vehicle © cannot be located. Thanks!

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

my car (A)was parked and was hit by another vehicle B. the owner of vehicle B claims they were hit by another vehicle © who ran a stop sign, which caused them to hit my car. they have a surveillance video showing this. vehicle C drove off without stopping. I am completely not at fault, since I was parked and not even in the vehicle at the time. the insurance company for B says that they are not responsible, since their client was pushed into me by ©. is this correct?

Yes. Absolutely correct. Especially with a video.

I do not have collision coverage on (A) since it is an older car. vehicle © cannot be located.

Without collision insurance on your own car, your only recourse is against the driver of vehicle C.

There was a point when you decided that your older vehicle wasn't worth the money to pay for collision insurance. When you decided that you took it upon yourself to self insure for anything that happened to it that wasn't collectible from anybody else.

Now you get to take all the money you didn't spend on insurance and put that money toward repairing your car or replacing it. If you didn't think to put that money aside then you are on your own if you cannot find vehicle C.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,340 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

my car (A)was parked and was hit by another vehicle B. the owner of vehicle B claims they were hit by another vehicle © who ran a stop sign, which caused them to hit my car.

Who are "they"/"them"?

the insurance company for B says that they are not responsible, since their client was pushed into me by ©. is this correct?

B has no liability to you -- and, consequently, B's insurer will not pay to repair your car -- unless the damage to your car resulted from B's negligence. Unless you have or can obtain evidence to disprove B's story about C or that B and C were both negligent, then you will have to look only to C to pay for the damage to your car. If, as you say, C cannot be located, then you'll have to shoulder the burden yourself. This is the risk you take by not having collision coverage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users