Historic Plates violation - Ohio

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rascal392

rascal392

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

What is the fine for driving a car with historic plates to a destination not specifically allowed in Ohio?

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

According to the statute for historical license plates "

" “historical motor vehicle” means any motor vehicle that is more than twenty-five years old and that is owned solely as a collector’s item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, but in no event is used for general transportation."

http://law.justia.co...ection4503-181/

The statute does not specify a penalty for violating the statute but I'm guessing if you get nailed for commuting or going grocery shopping your citation and penalty would likely be the equivalent of driving with invalid or expired license plates.

You're probably looking at a fine of about $100 to $200.

But there's something else.

When you sign the application for the historical plates the application says "Applicant giving false information is subject to prosecution RC 2913.42."

http://law.justia.co...section2913-42/

2913.42 makes falsifying any writing a first degree misdemeanor which carries a penalty of up to 6 months in jail and fines of up to $1,000.

My advice: Take the historic vehicle privelege seriously.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,135 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

To be frank, it's not clear that the information provided in the prior response -- concerning "historical motor vehicle[s]" -- is pertinent to the question asked about "historic plates." If it doesn't, you should clarify what exactly you mean by "historic plates to a destination not specifically allowed."

#4 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

To be frank, it's not clear that the information provided in the prior response -- concerning "historical motor vehicle[s]" -- is pertinent to the question asked about "historic plates."

Yeah, it is. The statute I posted describes historical vehicles and the process by which one qualifies for historical vehical plates as does the application form that I posted.

you should clarify what exactly you mean by "historic plates to a destination not specifically allowed."

It's quite clear that the poster means he's driving (or contemplating driving) his historical vehicle beyond the limitations stated in the statute and wants to know what the penalty is for doing so.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#5 rascal392

rascal392

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Adjusterjack is exactly right - I was just evaluating the risk. Thank you for your response Adjusterjack. I guess I need to make sure there's a "cruise-in" nearby when I go grocery shopping.

#6 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Adjusterjack is exactly right - I was just evaluating the risk. Thank you for your response Adjusterjack. I guess I need to make sure there's a "cruise-in" nearby when I go grocery shopping.

Do you have collector car insurance?

Or regular insurance?

I think a bigger risk is that collector car insurance can deny a claim if you get in an accident on the way to work or have your car stolen while you are in the supermarket.

#7 rascal392

rascal392

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

I have regular insurance, but thanks for the info. Mostly I'm trying to comply with the mandate.

#8 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I have regular insurance, but thanks for the info. Mostly I'm trying to comply with the mandate.

Is your historical vehicle your only vehicle or a second vehicle?

If it's your only vehicle then you are using it for general transportation and you don't qualify for historical vehicle plates.

If it's a second vehicle, why are you contemplating using it beyond the limitations of the historical plates?

#9 rascal392

rascal392

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I have multiple cars, but knowing how government at every level is under pressure to grab more revenue, I try to stay under the radar.

#10 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I have multiple cars, but knowing how government at every level is under pressure to grab more revenue, I try to stay under the radar.

I have multiple cars, too.

Works a bit differently here. Costs more to get historical plates on old cars than it does to get regular plates so I don't buy them.

I do, however, buy collector car insurance on the oldies and those policies have the collector use restrictions that I have to adhere to.

#11 rascal392

rascal392

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hey, adjusterjack. Historical plates in Ohio cost me a total of $19.38, and get this, don't need to be renewed for 50 years. It used to 500 years, but changed last year. My insurance is $15/month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users