Jump to content


No-Title Bike

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CondeDracula


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hello all,

I live in Pennsylvania and I run a small bartering company. Recently, I was contacted by an apartment owner who has had a 2005 Honda Shadow sitting in his parking lot for over a year. The bike belonged to a previous tenant whom packed his bags and moved to Canada (thus abandoning the bike in the process).

The apartment owner spent a year attempting to contact the guy in Canada. Eventually, he got in touch with the tenants sister, whom was able to inform the tenant of the situation. The tenant replied and basically said that he had no plans of returning, and to do whatever they (the apartment owner) wanted with the Bike.

I have the contact information for the people in Canada, and a Bill of Sale from the Apartment people (As well as copies of their correspondences with the Tenant-people)... So my question is:

Is there a process that I can undertake to have a new title issued for this bike? I picked it up with the intention of parting it out. But if I could get a new title issued some way, that would be even better. I've been attempting to do some of my own homework, but i've been unable to find any resources that actually comment on my exact situation.

Thanks for reading.

#2 adjusterjack


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,305 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

i've been unable to find any resources that actually comment on my exact situation.


How about your local DMV office?

Walk in and ask "How do I get a title based on my exact situation?"

I'm guessing that the apartment management did not use the proper procedure for an abandoned vehicle so your bill of sale is not likely to be any good.

Some states allow people to post a bond for three years in order to get a title in your situation but I haven't found anything in PA allowing that.

You are likely going to have to have the owner get a duplicate title and then sign it over to you.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Pierre_*

  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for posting. If you can get something in writing from the previous owner that would obviously be best. Your best bet would be speak to the local authorities about the matter.
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users