Child Support-Houehold Income Calculations in California

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blanco2011

blanco2011

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

I was married and have since divorced approximately (2 1/2) years ago. I have to pay child support for (3) children from the previous marriage. I have since remarried. I recently received an interrogatory from my ex-wife's attorney inquiring of everyone living in my current household and their relation to me. She works and my income is sporadic. I am making the support payments based on my income. My current wife has all separate accounts. We have no shared accounts. How is total household income calculated for child support purposes? Can the courts increase child support payments based on "my salary" as well as" my current wife's salary"?

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

The amount of child support paid by noncustodial parents is determined at the state level, but some general guidelines can be applied universally. You may want to visit the Family Law Center: Child Support and read Child Support Amounts as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Your current wife's income cannot be used as a factor to calculate your child support obligation except under highly unusual circumstancers, such as if she is sheltering part of your income and/or assets under her own. Presumably the interrogatories are meant only to establish your fair share of reasonable household expenses (if any) that could be used as factors in the calculation. Consult local counsel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users