first time offiense

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 motheronquest

motheronquest

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

My son was arrested on a Thursday night/ Friday morning as a result of being intoxicated and fighting. I was not notified and my son was denied a telephone call. The police arrested him and charged him with aggravated assault, simple assault and resisting arrest. They set a bail of 5,000 and said that it was bond-able but it needed to be posted before 6:00 p.m. The bail-bonds agent attempted to post bond at 5:30 p.m., and had spoken to officers at the precinct to hold him, which they agreed. Upon arrival of the agent the officers at 5:30 p.m., the officers informed him that they had already shipped him early to county jail. Once at county jail I waited another 6 hours and went to the jail myself to inquire about the situation. I then found out that additional charges had been added and my son's bail was now not bondable. He was in county lock up over a holiday weekend. Still no contact from my son at all, and bail nor a court date has been set. This is a first time offense. Officials at the jail have not answers, they never answer the telephones and I'm now a basket case waiting for answers. My son is in his last year of college, is employed and because of a stupid mistake with alcohol and cops taking his situation personally, my son's life may be ruined. Is there anyone who is familiar with a situation like this? Where can I begin to get answers and get my son out of jail? I'd appreciate any first-hand knowledge or opinion because I know this is not a site to receive legal advice.

Motheronquest

#2 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

He's an adult so there would be no reason for you to be informed by police of his arrest. Since he was arrested Thursday, he should be in court today or tomorrow for arraignment on the charges. You did not identify a state but most county jails have pay phones available for use by in custodies which means all calls out must be collect. Some limit the availability to certain times of the day. If he was highly intoxicated and/or combative, they could have decided for his safety and that of the custodial officers to just get him in a cell following his booking because it is a pay phone and the receiver can be used as a weapon.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

If you have not done so already, I would highly suggest you consult with a local Criminal Defense Lawyer to advise your son of his rights. You may also want to visit the Criminal Law and read Criminal Rights as a good resource to learn more about this topic.

#4 prose7_2334

prose7_2334

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I sympathize and empathize w yu, its all political. Ms. u are going to need an attorney for your son. And you may wanna write the Mayor and the Chief of Police and give em a piece of ur mind. I highly doubt it will change the process, but ya never know. At least have the guts to express ur grievances and/or complaints you already have the RIGHT to do so!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

As stated by the other lawyers, please hire a qualified criminal defense lawyer for your son immediately. Also, please instruct your son to speak to NO ONE on this planet about the case, except his lawyer. Everything he says to anyone else can be used to prosecute him in court. Good luck.

#6 coreymarshall926

coreymarshall926

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hey how are you doing I have a friend who is going to trial for F1 Agg. Robbery in April he is a first time offender and has no juvenile history, he gradated from high school and was on his way to college, he has alway had a Job since he was 14 and he's a really good person he just went down the wrong path for a while he is very sorry for his action and he takes full responsibility. They have a full confession and the prosecutor is being very unreasonable he offered him to plea out to 2 F1's and take 14 years Or plea to a F1 Agg.. Rob And a F2 Felonious assault open plea, both charges have gun specs. I was just wanting to get some help for him he is a very good person he has been out on bail for 3 months and has been working and going to drug programs if you could please give me some advice he can use to help him when it come to sentencing or getting a better deal.
[list]

[/list]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users