Are they both liable for the theft?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 concerned_0250

concerned_0250

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have a question in regards to this. If a family member steals a truck title and forges the name of the person on it, and gets a loan on it, but you do not find out for years. What is your legal rights in this matter? And there are two people on the loan. Are they both liable for the theft?

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I have a question in regards to this. If a family member steals a truck title and forges the name of the person on it, and gets a loan on it, but you do not find out for years. What is your legal rights in this matter? And there are two people on the loan. Are they both liable for the theft?

Could be.

One could be an accomplice of the other. They would both likely be liable for civil and criminal fraud.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,401 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

If a family member steals a truck title and forges the name of the person on it, and gets a loan on it, but you do not find out for years. What is your legal rights in this matter?

How should we know? You didn't bother to tell us what connection, if any, "you" has with respect to the truck or the "family member" who stole the title.

And there are two people on the loan. Are they both liable for the theft?

Maybe. Depends on the laws of the unidentified state where this occurred and whatever facts are relevant under those laws (in particular, whether the other person was aware of the theft and forgery.

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hard to determine without having the detailed facts. You may want to read the LawBrain: Forgery article as a good resource to learn more about this topic.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#5 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

You may also want to contact local law enforcement to determine whether a police investigation is necessary.

#6 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,986 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

"What is your legal rights in this matter?"

We can't know what it is you're really expecting us to know here. :)

"Are they both liable for the theft?"

We cannot know the answer to this question. We don't have much info (as you know, since you typed the post). :)

I presume owner of the truck is deceased or not mentally competent (and has no one who cares about this), because I'm having a hard time believing someone could steal a truck without owner knowing about it and doing nothing (like reporting it stolen).

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users