Photo

Applying for Apt. in CA. Landlord wants a COPY of my Social Security Card? Is this legal?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 longcatislong

longcatislong

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm applying for an apartment in the Sacramento area in CA. I already gave them my driver license number and SSN on the application to run a credit check.

Then they said that once that is approved, they will need copies of my driver license, pay stubs or tax returns as proof of income and a copy of my social security card. I'm fine providing all other documents but the SS card.Why the heck do they need that? Is this legal?

How can I politely bring this up to the landlord that I'm not comfortable with them having a physical copy of my personal information.

Thank you all for your help!

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

It's legal for them to ask it.

It's legal for you to comply.

If you don't like the terms and conditions of the rental place then you have the option of walking away and renting elsewhere.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

A landlord may set whatever conditions he wants for a tenancy as long as they are reasonably related to his business needs and don’t violate ant-idiscrimination laws. To learn more about this topic, you may want to visit the California Department of Consumer Affairs: Looking For a Rental Unit as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users