payroll deductions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wdcttr2002

wdcttr2002

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I work for a small company that delivers and installs kitchen appliances. This past week I was transferred to work in the warehouse. I received a letter that they wanted me to sign stating it was ok for them to take $50 each pay for "damage claims" against me that I was unaware of. When I refused to sign the letter because of a dispute over the amount I thought that until we reconsiled this problem that nothing would be deducted. When I received my check the $50 was deducted. Is this legal? Can a company just start taking money out of my pay without written authorizition?

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

What state is this concerning? In general, an employer may not deduct anything from an employee's wages without the employee's written permission. You may want to contact your local state labor department for clarification on your specific situation and how to address your concerns. To learn more about your rights as an employee, visit the Employment Law Center as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,258 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Is this legal? Can a company just start taking money out of my pay without written authorizition?

That depends on the laws of the state in which you work. In most states, an employer is prohibited from deducting anything from an employee’s pay unless it is (1) required by law (e.g. tax withholding), (2) required by a union agreement (for union members), or (3) authorized by the employee. But the state matters, so there is no way to answer your question specifically without that information.

#4 wdcttr2002

wdcttr2002

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

the company is in Cleveland, OH

#5 wdcttr2002

wdcttr2002

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

also...do I have the right to see the "damage claims" they say occured and how much was paid by the company

#6 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,258 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Interestingly, Ohio doesn't have a statute like some states that addresses all deductions from pay as some states do. But I did find one provision in it that might apply to you. Ohio Revised Code (ORC) section 4113.19 states: “No person shall sell goods or supplies to his employee, or pay such employee wages or a part thereof in goods or supplies, directly or through the intervention of scrip, orders, or other evidence of indebtedness, at higher prices than the reasonable or current market value in cash of such goods or supplies, or, without an express contract with his employee, deduct or retain the wages of such employee, or a part thereof, for wares, tools, or machinery destroyed or damaged.” (Italics added.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users