• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 friendlybull74

friendlybull74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

My former step son, age 20, was living with my ex/his mother and they had a big fight. He moved out. Before he was able to do a change of address with the US Postal Service, some important mail was sent to him at her address.

His mother is being vendictive and refuses to give it to him, even after sending her a certified letter asking for it.

Is there anything legal he can do with this, criminal or civil?

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

He may sue her in the appropriate court to recover his property. In the law, this is known as an action in replevin. Whether he may do that in small claims court will depend on the law of the state where his mother lives.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

You may want to read the LawBrain: Replevin article as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

My former step son, age 20, was living with my ex/his mother and they had a big fight. He moved out. Before he was able to do a change of address with the US Postal Service, some important mail was sent to him at her address.

His mother is being vendictive and refuses to give it to him, even after sending her a certified letter asking for it.

Is there anything legal he can do with this, criminal or civil?

He can also file a complaint with the postal authorities. I think that intercepting somebody's mail is a federal crime. Whether it gets anywhere is anybody's guess. But it's worth a shot.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#5 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

He can also file a complaint with the postal authorities. I think that intercepting somebody's mail is a federal crime. Whether it gets anywhere is anybody's guess. But it's worth a shot.

The mail was delivered to the specified address where his mother resides. She thus had the authority to collect the mail out of the mailbox. For the most part, once the mail delivery is complete and rightfully removed from the mailbox, federal criminal law stops protecting it. Her holding the mail and failing to release it is not, as I recall, a federal crime. It’s a civil dispute between her and her son.

#6 knort4

knort4

Diamond Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

How does he know she received it? If he knows who sent it, he should contact the company/agency who sent and explain what happened and ask them to resend it to him at his new address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users