• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mchapman

mchapman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

In a criminal trial, regarding a rape charge, I have 2 questions:

1. There will be 12 jurors. Does a decision need to be unanimous for a conviction?

2. The judge instructed the attorneys to review a 2005 case regarding 'force'. How can I find more about this 2005 case?

Thank you,
M. Chapman

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,053 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

"There will be 12 jurors. Does a decision need to be unanimous for a conviction?"

While there are rare variations, depending on state, yes.

"How can I find more about this 2005 case?"

Not sure what you expect folks to say with only this info. Ask the attorneys if the judge didn't mention the case name.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 mchapman

mchapman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thank you.

Regarding the unanimous conviction, the state is CA.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

In a criminal case in California, a unanimous agreement of all 12 jurors is required. Regarding the case you are referring to, you would have to obtain the case name. As a good resource, you may want to visit the Criminal Law Center.

#5 mchapman

mchapman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thank you!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users