Jump to content


Concerned it will happen.

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 badneck12


    New Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

CA. resident. I am a relative of a soon to be 18 yr old girl who is obsessed with smoking pot. The real problem is she is allowed to drive her dad's car, (since she has no job or car of her own). She doesn't drink alcohol. I'm wondering: What liability does the dad have if she crashes and injures someone? Is there a way (with pot) to ONLY let her drive if she's sober?

#2 LegalwriterOne


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

When she applied for her license, the parent/s had to complete and submit a form to DMV assuming all liability for her driving. If she causes an accident, they can be sued and if the parent/s insurance company believes or has evidence that they knew she was using drugs and let her drive anyway, they can deny coverage for any damages she causes AND cancel the policy. MJ can stay in a person's system for months. The only way to ensure that she doesn't drive while high on pot is to not let her drive at all.

#3 JusCogens



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Her parents could try laying down rules for her to follow and then actually enforcing them. It's a pretty crazy idea, and not exactly popular these days, but I have heard rumors that this used to be an every-day occurrence.

Currently, there is no alco-lock equivalent for pot smokers to prevent driving while high. If your relative decides that she wants to get baked and thhen get behind the wheel it is her choice. If she ends up getting in an accident and hurting or killing someone then that is something that she will have to live with.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Does the dad know that she is smoking pot?

#5 badneck12


    New Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Yes, Her mom, (divorced) helped her to get a med. marijuana license.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users