custody

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 courtney9586

courtney9586

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

i have a 16 year old daughter whose dad passed away some time ago and i was locked up so the great granparents in tn where given custody well about a year ago custody was granted back to me i live in ky can the judge make her come back to tn and can i sign over custody to non family member if nesecary

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

You cannot "sign over" custody to anyone. Legal custody can only be awarded by a court of competent jurisdiction. However, you can allow any responsible adult to care for your daughter in your absence, which isn't the same as custody. It should go without saying that your daughter must live wherever you live, unless you give your permission for her to live elsewhere. If you live in Kentucky, so must your daughter.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,392 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

i was locked up

Why? When did this occur relative to the death of your child's father? For how long were you incarcerated?

the great granparents in tn where given custody well about a year ago

"Given custody" by whom? Did this happen while you were incarcerated?

custody was granted back to me i live in ky can the judge make her come back to tn

In the abstract, virtually anything is possible. It's not clear what judge you're talking about, where the judge's court is, or why he or she might want to make your child travel from Kentucky to Tennessee.

can i sign over custody to non family member if nesecary

Custody can only be conferred by a court. You could consent to or not oppose legal action to give custody to any other person, but you cannot yourself confer custody simply by singing a piece of paper. Of course, you can allow your child to live wherever you want and could sign something that gives the caregiver authority to do certain things for the child (e.g., enroll the child in school and obtain medical treatment).

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

i live in ky can the judge make her come back to tn

Is there a reason why the Judge would make her come back to Tennessee? To learn more about child custody, you may visit the Family Law Center and read Child Custody as a good resource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users